As we enter the dog days of summer, with cooler nights and leaves changing colour, we find ourselves holding on tighter to anything that reminds us of the sun, the heat and taking things easy! This week we would like to share two fabulous and delicious drinks that epitomize that bright summer spirit!
Rosy Grapefruit & Pomegranate Spritzers
- 3 cups red grapefruit juice
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 cups sparkling water or selzter
- 1 cup ice
- 1 red grapefruit, washed and sliced
- In a large pitcher, combine the grapefruit and pomegranate juice and 1 cup of ice. Top up with sparkling water and stir well.
- Pour into glasses, garnish with a slice of grapefruit and serve!
- Serves 6.
Shake It Up
- Add a splash of rose wine, Prosecco, gin or Campari!
Cucumber, Honeydew, Agua Fresca
- 1 ripe honeydew melon
- 2 cucumbers, washed
- 1/4 cup lime juice (approx. 3 limes)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ice
- 2 tbsp liquid honey (optional)
- Slice honeydew in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut into 1 inch slices, then remove the skin. trim ends from cucumbers and coarsely chop.
- Combine melon and cucumber in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth and let drain for at least half an hour. Discard the pulp. This should leave you with about 4 cups of bright green juice.
- Pour the juice into a pitcher and add the lime juice, salt, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of ice. Stir well. Add honey for sweetness, if desired. Garnish with a few slices of cucumber and lime and serve!
- Makes 6 cups.
- Agua can be prepared ahead without the ice and kept refrigerated for up to 6 hours. Just before serving, add the ice and stir well.
Drink recipes from Brown Eggs and Jam Jars by Aimee Wimbush-Bourque.
We hope you will enjoy these summer sippers! Have a safe and happy Labour Day Weekend!